Choosing a lawyer can be daunting. How do you know if a lawyer is the correct professional for your businesses legal needs?
We suggest asking any prospective lawyer the following questions:
1. How long have you practiced law?
2. What type of matters do you usually handle? How much of your practice is focused on working with businesses?
3. Who is your typical client?
4. What are your billing rates? How and when do you bill clients? Do you require a retainer? What form of payment do you accept?
5. How do you typically communicate with clients?
6. How quickly do you usually respond to clients?
7. Do you provide references?
While you may think you should only ask questions about your specific legal situation, the questions listed above are important in establishing the basic foundation of your business relationship with your lawyer. Expertise is important – but communication, practice management and professional demeanor are factors that should also be considered when hiring any professional.